Gas Safety Inspection

As a Landlord you’re required to get a Gas Safety Certificate completed every year. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

If your intending to use an agent to manage your property, you’ll need to make sure your contract clearly states whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances.
You’ll need to keep copies of all the paperwork and keep a record of the safety inspections for two years, you’ll need to give a copy to your tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your tenants change, they’ll need a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before they move in.
If your contract says the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them.

What you’re getting from a Gas Safety Inspection:

Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness, this examines the gas pressure inside a property’s pipe work.

If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.

Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate.

Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.

Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.

All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.

Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.

Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance can not be issued a Gas Safety Certificate.